Thursday 7 March 2013

MONOPOLY - the XXI century update

Here we got MONOPOLY, one of the amazing games of our childhood. The board, the cash, the houses and hotels, the cards and those rainy Saturday evenings. It is an amazing game, lightly simulating the issues of property and "free market" until the day it all changed.

----

MONOPOLY, the board game, keeps being fabulous in uniting families and friends for 4 hour long games, yet the version of MONOPOLY applied to society has been a completely different one.
Now imagine, that you and 7 friends of yours gather around the table to play some MONOPOLY. However, now the game is different. Mr. Lovejoy gets to the table and he asks you if he can play. "No Lovejoy, the table is full." - to this he quickly answers - "Don't worry, I'm not here to play, I'm here to rule.". Everyone takes a laugh on him and Lovejoy calls a friend to the room. "So... this is my friend Marcus Brutus, he's here to kick your ass if you don't do what I say."

All the players were terrified by the 7 feet (2.1m) tall, incredibly muscled Marcus Brutus, and quickly agreed with his leadership. "Now lets play" - Lovejoy said - "I must warn you, my people, that I have some modifications to add to the original game:"

     "1: Every commercial transaction will be taxed 25%. So if you buy, sell, pay a rent, or trade some property, I shall have a quarter of that value."
     "2: Any time you pass in the starting square and get the money, I shall have 50% of that income, 80% if you are the richest player the poorest player will receive all the money collected."
    "3: The railroads and utilities like the electricity and the water, are hereby nationalized. If any of you gets in these squares, I will interpret that as a threat to the public good on trying to make a greedy profit out of such vital goods. You'll have to pay as a fine the full property price, and go to jail for 5 turns."
     "4: If you want to build on property you need to ask me for a permit and pay me an extra 10% commission of the value of the construction. In case the worst off player gets in your property he shall not pay a cent for the rent, neither you the owner shall receive anything, since you're helping the disadvantaged."
     "5: The chance and community chest cards will have 2 roles. If you have to pay something, you'll pay it to me. If you have money to receive, you'll get it from me but it will be taxed 25%, that will be given to the less wealthy of you in equal shares."
     "6: Finally, every hour of gameplay, you'll have to pay me 10% over all your property as a property tax (20% if you are the richest player and 0% if you are the poorest), you are not allowed to take longer than a minute after the hour to pay this amount."

"There we go, these are my laws that will work for the public interest, I provide you with security and a safety net, you pay a fair share in return... Now lets play. Oh, wait! If you disobey by any means to any of these commands, here Mr. Brutus will get you to the dentist and nationalize all your property. Good luck!"

----

So, I guess you should really try this with your friends and see the results...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for dropping by The Radical Liberal! I'm glad to hear you are thinking in the same direction.

    ReplyDelete